This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Purpose.

Lectionary: 302
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel

Saint Rita


Today's Gospel shows that Jesus loves us all as individuals. He didn't lump all his apostles into one category or one future. He loved them each for their strengths, weaknesses, and the purpose God put them on earth to fulfill. Peter's purpose was different than John's. John's was to take care of Mary, live a long life, and write the Gospel. What is your purpose? 
One more thing: St. Rita thought her purpose was to live a religious life. Bowing to her parents, she married and found herself in an abusive relationship. Her purpose was to be a mother, and she bore two sons. Eventually, she did live a religious monastic life and because of her devotion to Christ, shared in his sufferings through his wounds. She found a way to live out her purpose within family life. If you are a mom, regardless of the circumstances, God is calling you to do the same. Just like a gear can not work if one of the cogs is broken, God's plan can not come to fruition without you! Life your life and motherhood with purpose. 
Prayer: Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. Be with me as I live out my vocation of motherhood. Amen. St. Rita, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment