This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Delight in your children.

Lectionary: 291
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel

St. Damien of Molokai


During the beatification homily for St. Damien in 1995, Pope John Paul II said: "Holiness is not perfection according to human criteria; it is not reserved for a small number of exceptional persons. It is for everyone; it is the Lord who brings us to holiness, when we are willing to collaborate in the salvation of the world for the glory of God, despite our sin and our sometimes rebellious temperament."
One more thing: The psalm tells us that "The Lord takes delight in his people." Not just the special people we recognize as 'saints', but all of his people. When you find yourself giggling at the funny things your children say or do, being overwhelmed when they are especially kind and thoughtful, shaking your head at their determination and stubbornness, just remember that's exactly how God feels about you! He delights in you and will bring you to the holiness he intends for you. Just say yes! 
Prayer: Holy Spirit, come to me and fill my heart so that I may be holy in the eyes of God. Protect me from my desires and the temptation for human perfection.  In Jesus' name I pray. St. Damien, pray for me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment