This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Messengers.

Lectionary: 561
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel

Sts. Philip and James, Apostles


Jesus was the master of viral marketing by getting others to spread his message. There was no internet, social media, newscast, simply people like James and Philip telling others about him. That's still the way it works. When you teach your children about Christ, you are spreading his message. There's no telling who they in turn will spread the message to! 
One more thing: I sometimes use a questioning technique to get others to say something when it would have more impact coming from them than if I said it. I think that's what Philip was doing when he questioned Jesus. He spent so much time with Jesus, maybe he knew there were people nearby, like you and I, who needed to hear it explained one more time. It was the start of Philip's mission to spread the gospel. 
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I want to help spread your message through all the earth. Help me to be ready to share my faith with those around me, most especially my children. In your name I pray. Sts. Philip and James, pray for me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment