This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Come Spirit, come!


Pentecost

In the first reading, the disciples have just received the Holy Spirit and they aren't keeping it to themselves. The Advocate that Jesus promises spurs them out of the locked upper room. They begin to tell everyone about Jesus. They don't bother worrying about speaking the right language, because the Holy Spirit takes care of that. They are simply on fire for the Lord. 
One more thing: When Christ promised to send the Advocate, I don't think the disciples had any idea what was in store. Instead of comforting and coddling them because Jesus was no longer with them, the Holy Spirit gets right to work doing the job he is sent to do. When you say yes to the Holy Spirit in whichever direction he is calling you, hold on to your hat! On this feast of Pentecost, take a moment and ask the Holy Spirit what he is calling you to do in your life and in your vocation of motherhood. You are in for quite a ride! 
Prayer:Father in heaven, thank you for sending the Holy Spirit to be with me, to guide me, and to give me the strength and courage to do your will. Help me to always say yes to his calling. In Jesus name I pray, through the power of the Holy Spirit, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment