This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

By whose authority?

Lectionary: 352
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel

St. Madeleine Sophie Barat





"Build yourselves up in your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit.
Keep yourselves in the love of God and wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ." Can't you just see Jesus looking at the chief priests with an "excuse me?!" look on his face. Questioning his authority seems a little ridiculous to us; I'm sure it did to him too!
One more thing: Even before Christ formally founded the church, his authority was in question. Every church leader since then has been challenged. I suppose that is true of all leadership, even parental leadership. Our subordinates, or children in the case of moms, will always question our authority. But remember, mom, you have the backing of God, Christ and the Holy Spirit. You live your vocation as you are called by the Lord. If anyone needs to know where you get your authority, simply point to the Crucifix hanging on the wall. 
Prayer: Lord Jesus, you call me to live the vocation of motherhood. I will have to answer to you one day about how I lived out this vocation. Help me to lead with the authority, mercy and love that you give me to fulfill your call. In your name I pray, through the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen. St. Madeleine, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment