This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Camels.

Lectionary: 347
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel

St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi


 "The last thing I ask of you—and I ask it in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—is that you love him alone, that you trust implicitly in him and that you encourage one another continually to suffer for the love of him." These were the dying words of St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi to her fellow sisters. It seems she knew that most of us were camels. 
One more thing: We now return to ordinary time in the liturgical calendar. But make no mistake, there is nothing ordinary about each day we are given. Christ calls us to follow the commandments and then to go the extra mile. My interpretation of "all things are possible for God" is not just that God makes it possible for us to go to heaven through the saving power of our Lord Jesus Christ, but also that God makes it possible for us to go that extra mile. God gives us what we need to do the impossible, to minister to the sick, the dying, the lonely, the heartbroken, even the challenging children in our home. The young man didn't know how he could give up his possessions, but God would give him the grace he needed to do just that if he asked. Yesterday we felt the call of the Holy Spirit. Today Christ reminds us that God will give you what you need to accomplish what you are called to do! 
Prayer: Father in heaven, all things are possible for you. You know the mountains in my life and you know how daunting they look. Give me what I need to climb those mountains and to live my life for you. I ask this in Jesus' name through the power of the Holy Spirit, Amen. St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment