This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Wedding bells.


Lectionary: 417
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
Sts. Pontian and Hippolytus

Regardless of your politics and how you interpret today's gospel, one thing is certain. God views the church as his bride and Jesus tells us that divorce is never an option. Sure, in the old testament times there were some pretty big spats, leading to both sides walking away. But Jesus declares the new covenant and that our God will always belong to us.
One more thing: "Not all can accept this word, but only those to whom that is granted." I try not to ask my children,"What do you want to be when you grow up?" Instead I ask them, "What does God want you to do with your life?" Not everyone is called to the vocation of marriage. For those who are, Jesus has some pretty direct words. But he also says that it's not for everyone. Make sure your children know they can look to God, not just society, for direction as they grow into their adult years.
Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for my vocation of motherhood. Help me to live it fully as you intend. Help me to model for my children complete dependence on you for direction and purpose in my life. Guide them to the vocation you intend for them and bless them with the ability to live it fully. In your precious name I pray, Amen. Sts. Pontian and Hippolytus, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment