This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pulling your weight.


Lectionary: 427
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Louis of France

I think I might have this scripture painted on the wall in my kitchen, "if anyone was unwilling to work, neither should that one eat." St. Paul advises the community that there are no freeloaders in God's family. Sometimes we need to do the same in ours.
One more thing: Any mom will tell you, we are battling an entitlement culture seeking to get it's claws into our children's hearts. Popular culture teaches kids that you can get something for nothing, but that is not what God says! It's human nature to rise to the top of the pack, be it a Pharisee, church leader, or older sibling, and think everyone should serve you. Christ teaches that we should all serve one another, and each do at least his own share.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for your example of service to others. Help me to teach my family to serve one another joyfully and with love. Help me to model a good work ethic for my children. In your name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment