This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Rules


Lectionary: 431
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Jeannne Jugan

"Lord I love your commands."
Do you kids love rules? Probably not; most kids say they don't. The reality is that rules bring freedom. When there is order, there is peace and chaos only brings discord. The same thing that goes in your house, goes in God's house. He's given us rules to live by, and the fruits of following them are wisdom, understanding and discernment.
One more thing: This psalm is a great passage to pull out when the kids (read teens) are balking about following the house rules. Just like a prophet is not accepted in his own town, parents don't have much credibility with kids of a certain age. If you need a little help enforcing rules, enlist the help of another adult your child respects. It could be a pastor, aunt or uncle, coach or neighbor. Even Jesus knew that sometimes things make a little more sense when they come from a person you don't live with.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for giving me rules to live by. Help me to follow these rules with fervor and enjoy their fruits. Help me show my children how I follow your rules, as well as those of my community, so they too will come to know the peace of living as you desire us to. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Jeanne, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment