This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sleepyhead.


Lectionary: 428
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. John Eudes

"Stay awake!"
Jesus must have known I would be nodding off about now, wanting to put off my prayer time till tomorrow and crawl into bed. How many times do we put off the good works and prayer we can do today?
One more thing: St. John Eudes was trying his very best to live a life in service to Christ, but even he got distracted. A certain 'madame' reminded him that going off to church to pray and think himself pious meant nothing when the recovering prostitutes to whom he was ministering still had no place to live. John then formed the Sisters of Charity to minister to the poor and suffering. He certainly stayed awake and took care of the master's household!
Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me to stay awake! Help me to notice the daily opportunities to become your hands and feet and minister to those around me. Help me to be an example of tireless charity to my children. In your name I pray, Amen. St. John, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment