This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Rock on.


Lectionary: 410
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. John Vianney

There is a temptation to look at the lives of the saints and think we can never be like them. They seem so perfect and most of us see our imperfections pretty clearly. Yet, if you look at the people Jesus interacted with in the gospels, they were perfectly human. Peter is a wonderful example of how hard it is to always get it right. He has some amazing shining moments, and then he crashes and burns.
One more thing: Jesus tells Peter that God has revealed Christ's true nature to him and Peter becomes the foundation of our church. Not a moment later, Jesus refers to him as satan. It's Peter's humanity ("thinking as humans do", "why did you doubt?") that always gets in the way. Yet, that's who we are. Jesus shows us that it is only with the help of God, and Christ's salvation, that we can achieve our full potential as the perfect humans God calls us to be. Consider yourself the rock of the domestic church. If you rely on God completely to help you in this role, you will not falter. If you don't, be prepared to screw up; but always get back in the game, just like Peter did.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I'm sorry for the times when I am weak and my humanity gets in the way of my vocation. Thank you for your forgiveness. Create a clean heart in me so that I may fully rely on you. In your name I pray, Amen. St. John Vianney, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment