This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Brotherly love.


Lectionary: 415
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Clare

The Thau that is mentioned in the first reading translates to the Greek letter 'T' which was adopted by St. Francis of Assisi as his personal symbol of the cross. Today's reading brings home the significance of that symbol, since we all want to be marked by a sign of Christ. Today is also the feast of St. Clare, a close friend and contemporary of St. Francis. These two young people turned their back on their life of comfort and material wealth to serve the Lord. 
One more thing: Jesus' sermon today on brotherly love brings to life his acknowledgment that there would be conflict within families. He gives us a guide to sort out those conflicts with love and wisdom. But in the end, he doesn't condone being a doormat. If your brother (or sister) doesn't ever see eye to eye with you, despite your very best effort to resolve the conflict, then some things will just have to be sorted out in heaven. Christ tells us today, however, to do our best to make peace. 
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for showing me how to live with my fellow man. Give me the love, fortitude and perseverance to work out conflict with my brother. Help me to teach my children to make peace with each other. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Clare, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment