This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Duplicity.


Lectionary: 629
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Bartholomew

I always like a wise-cracking biblical fellow, and Nathanael fits the bill. "Can anything good come from Nazareth?" That must have made Jesus chuckle as he saw the story unfold before he met Nathanael face to face. However, Jesus knew that when he did see Nathanael's face, it would tell all. Nathanael was a straight shooting kind of guy. His doubts were genuine and Jesus was okay with that.
One more thing: Jesus knows when we aren't being straightforward with him. Sure, we might talk a good game, go to church, help out with ministry, but where is our heart? On what or whom to we really rely? In times of crisis, (like running late for carpool, missing shoes, dirty ball uniforms, sick kids, or, if you have a toddler like I do, spilt milk), do we call on the Lord and ask for additional grace or do we just take over and handle it in our very human way? Don't miss the opportunity to be like Nathanael and be straight with the Lord. He can take it. He might even chuckle.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, you know the hidden concerns of my heart. You know my weaknesses, the times when I think it's just easier to handle it myself; the places in my life where I shut you out; the times when I doubt you. Help me to let you in to those situations, so that I may stand before you honest and open as Nathanael did. In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. Bartholomew, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment