This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Forgetfullness.


Lectionary: 420
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Joan of the Cross

Today's readings remind us not to become so embroiled in the workings of the world that we forget who we are. We are children of God who made us to know, love, and serve him, and to be happy with him forever in heaven. If we are like the prince in the first reading, thinking that all that we have is because of our own doing, then we will be more like the camels Jesus mentions in the gospel.
One more thing: St. Joan of the Cross was an astute business woman who ran her family's shop and shooed away the beggars that collected at her door. An encounter with one homeless woman changed Joan's life and she devoted herself to the service of the poor. How do we act when we encounter the homeless and needy? Do our children see us doing acts of service to others? Do they know how to help others too? A great family project is to assemble care packages for the needy to keep in your car. Perhaps you can go as a family and help out in your local food pantry. Involve your children in acts of service and you will teach them how to inherit eternal life.
Prayer: Dear God, thank you for the comforts that you provide for me. Help me to always remember that what I have are blessings from you and my possessions are only temporary. Keep me focused on joining you one day in heaven and help me to teach my children to serve you by serving others. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. St. Joan of the Cross, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment