This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Good Shepherd.

Lectionary: 421
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Jane Frances de Chantal

Boy, did Jesus know families or what? "He's got more than me," is a common complaint in any family and one I often here in my home. I suppose what Jesus really knows is human nature. We all feel a little slighted when someone else gets more of something than we do. What Christ calls us to believe is that as our shepherd, he gives us exactly what we need, when we need it.
One more thing: Christ shepherds you too, giving you that break from the kids when a neighbor invites them to play, an early bed time, a helping hand, even an extra portion at mealtime when you didn't make it to the grocery store. Our temptation to shepherd ourselves and fix everything our way will only lead us down the same path as those in the first reading. Lean on the Lord, and he will provide for your every need.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, you are the good shepherd. Thank you for always providing me with every need. Help me to rely on you fully and model my dependence on you to my children. In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. Jane Frances, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment