This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Feeding the multitudes.

Lectionary: 407
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Eusebius of Vercelli

I saw this picture of Sunday's Mass at the National Boy Scout Jamboree yesterday and marveled how it reminded me of the parable of the loaves and fishes. Imagine my surprise when I read today's gospel. This picture shows a gathering of approximately 15, 000 people, probably a similar number as in the gospel. My second thought was how did they get communion to everyone?
One more thing: This picture gives me hope and reminds me that our youth still hunger for Christ. Most of these kids are at camp without their parents, and yet they showed up to sit in the hot sun to be fed by the Eucharist. The gospel is alive and Jesus is here feeding the multitudes even today.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, even when you were grieving the loss of your cousin, you took pity on your people and fed them. Thank you for your great love. Help me to foster the desire to be near you in my children. Please pour down your blessings upon the thousands of boy scouts and volunteers who will be returning home this week and give them all safe travels. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Eusebius, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment