This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dominion over all.

Lectionary: 379
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
The Martyrs of Rome under Nero

"and goodness like an unfailing stream." I would love for one of my children to use that image to describe me as a mom. The first reading from the book of Amos makes it very simple: seek good and not evil. God doesn't want our proclamations, he wants our actions and our heart to always choose good.
One more thing: God has dominion over everything! The psalm reminds us that all we see, feel, and breathe is his. He even has dominion over the demons. What Jesus shows us in the gospel is pure authority. He has authority over every aspect in your life if you will give it to him. Or, will you be full of fear like the people of the village?
Prayer: Dear Jesus, letting go of my demons is scary. If I don't rely on my old ways, how will I act? I give you power and dominion over my life, especially my motherhood. I know that you have the authority to make me new and will help me to seek good and resist evil, in all its forms. In your precious name I pray, Amen. Martyrs of the early church, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment