This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

When you gotta go.

Lectionary: 99
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Reading 2
Gospel
St. Cyril of Alexandria

Today's readings speak about being called. Elijah called Elisha and he burned his prize possessions and made a new start as one of God's chosen prophets. In the gospel, Christ calls his followers to make a new start and follow him. What is Christ calling you to do?
One more thing: To follow Christ's call means to leave all that you were before and become a new person in Him. When Christ called you to be a mom, your life changed dramatically. There may be times when you lament 'the good old days' before children, but Christ tells us in today's gospel to never look back. He called, you said yes, and now you must keep your eyes on him and follow where he leads. As the saying goes, "If he called you to it, he will lead you through it."
Prayer: Jesus, it is my privilege to answer your call and be a mom. Help me in those moments when I turn from looking ahead and look behind. Help me to be steadfast and embrace the journey with you. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Cyril, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment