This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

John is his name.

Lectionary: 587
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Reading 2
Gospel
The Nativity of St. John the Baptist

Elizabeth and Zechariah bucked tradition in many ways. To begin with, they were older parents. Then they chose a strange name for their child.  John turned out to be just like his parents; he was the kind of guy that marched to his own drummer. What Elizabeth and Zechariah taught him was to follow God, even if that took him off the well worn path.
One more thing: There may be times when you make parenting decisions you feel are directed by God, that might not sit well with the your family or  friends. Fear may 'come upon them' and they probably will discuss the matters of how you've gone off the deep end by doing this or that. Zecheriah and Elizabeth are perfect examples of how to be a parent. Stay close to God and follow his will. If you do that, you will teach your children the most valuable lesson of all.
Prayer: Dear God, you have made each of my children perfectly in your image. You know the plans for them and their life. Help me be an instrument to guide my children in the path you desire for them. I ask this in Jesus' name, Amen. St. John the baptist, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment