This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Cheek to cheek.

Lectionary: 365
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Albert Chmeilowski

When the hurts run deep, it's hard to imagine turning the other cheek. I don't think Jesus wants anyone to be a human door mat. To me, he is saying not to sweat it. Let it go. A grudge does more harm to the person holding it than the person its held against.
One more thing: "Offer no resistance to one who is evil." Lest you be drawn into sin yourself. Nothing good comes from fighting, bickering, snide comments, hateful looks. It makes you just as bad as the person who hurt you. Rather than look for ways to get back at someone, simply ignore them, avoid them, pretend it didn't happen.  Living with the joy and love of Christ may well be the greatest revenge!
Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me to bear slights, insults and sufferings as you did. Help me to stay focussed on what really matters: my heavenly home with you! Give me a spirit of humility and a joy in you that spreads to my children. I ask this in your precious name, Amen. St. Albert, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment