This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Shine.

Lectionary: 360
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel

St. William of York


Things looked bleak for the widow and her son. Along came God's messenger and because of her obedience and trust, she was given all that she needed. Are there situations in your life that look bleak? A loved one's health, a job, or a relationship? I have to wonder if that widow has asked for help from anyone, or did she go along acting as if everything was fine. If she were a typical woman of today, she would try to keep it all polished and shiny on the outside. However, God knew the deep needs of her heart, and he knows yours too. 
One more thing: No situation is too small for God. I just discovered some mold in my house today and had to wrestle with my own panic. Prayer and reflection on today's readings give me peace and allow me to try and turn that empty jar into a shining lamp on a pedestal. 
Prayer: Father in heaven, thank you for always giving us what we need, when we need it. Help me to rely on you with trust and obedience that you are in control of every situation in my life. Help me to live that faith genuinely so that I may shine forth as a reflection of you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. St. William, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment