This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Storms brewing.

Lectionary: 362
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel

Blessed Joachima


In the gospel today Christ calls us to take a good long look in the mirror. He reminds us that you can't talk out both sides of your mouth, professing to be Christian on the one hand, and harboring resentment or anger in the other. When Jesus uses the word brother, he may mean 'neighbor or friend' but if we are honest, it really is our relations with which we have the hardest time living the gospel. 
One more thing: If you have siblings with whom you should reconcile, consider doing your part by apologizing or forgiving. Family relationships are complicated, but teaching your children now how to effectively communicate with one another will go a long way toward building a foundation for their future relationship. Jesus shows us that wrongs done, no matter how small, should be recognized and resolved. How easily does your family apologize and forgive? 
Prayer: Father of mercy, you are always willing to forgive me when I have done wrong. Thank you for your infinite mercy. Help me to be as ready to forgive and just as ready to apologize. Help me to model and teach this same spirit of mercy to my children so that they too will be a reflection of you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Blessed Joachima, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment