This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Weary.

Lectionary: 147
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Reading 2
Gospel
St. Ignatius of Antioch

Today's readings tell us a lot about what we should do when we are tired of praying. Moses relied on help from his friends. Paul tells us to read the scriptures. And Jesus tells us not to give up; persistence pays off!
One more thing: Mom, I KNOW you are tired. It just comes with the job. However, Jesus tells us that our physical fatigue can't carry over into our prayer life. Whatever you are praying for, follow today's advice. Get some friends to pray with you. Read the scriptures to refresh your soul. And persevere always. God hears you! In a recent lecture on prayer by Bert Ghezzi, he said that God never says no. He either says "yes", or he says, "Wait, I have something better in store."
Prayer: Heavenly Father, you know the desires and burdens of my heart. Give me prayer partners who encourage me in my journey to you. Give me a desire for the scriptures. Please especially give me the patience and perseverance to wait for your timing in all that I ask. In Jesus' precious name I pray, Amen. St. Ignatius, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment