This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fostering faith.

Lectionary: 475
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Maria Bertilla Boscardin

The Gentiles are the audience for today's readings. St. Paul emphasizes that they are co-heirs of the Kingdom. St. Luke writes a parable about who the rules are meant for. In the gospel, Jesus says the master will be lenient to those who are just learning the faith but trying to do their best. There are many levels of spiritual development and we aren't all in the same place!
One more thing: The same goes for our children. They are still developing physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually! Wow, that's a lot to keep up with. I need to consider their stage of development in all of these areas when I am teaching them and when I discipline them. If my lessons on faith and my expectations are beyond their development, I won't be effective at best, and I'll lose their heart at worst.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for your mercy and understanding when we try to do our best but fall short. Give me that same spirit of encouragement and mercy toward my children. Help me to foster their faith in a way that grows with them. In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. Maria, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment