This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Peacemaker.

Lectionary: 461
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Francis of Assisi

"If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a slave of Christ."
One more thing: St. Francis stopped trying to please people when he turned his back on his wealthy family and decided to live a life for Christ. Christ tells us in today's gospel what it means to live a life for him and to be a peacemaker. It means not worrying about what others might think about who you are or what you do. It means living a life of service and choosing what is right. If your play group, or your carpool or the other moms in the bleachers are giving you flack about how you live your life, don't worry about it! There is a saying that is attributed to St. Francis: "Preach the gospel at all times, and when necessary use words." Lead by your example and reach out to the outcast and the lonely. 
Prayer: Dear Lord, make me an instrument of your peace! Let me most especially be a peacemaker within my family, teaching my children to sow love, pardon, faith, hope, light and joy. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Francis of Assisi, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment