This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pray for mothers.

Lectionary: 464
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
Our Lady of the Rosary

"What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish?"
When I read this I sadly think about the young parents who recently made headlines by duct taping their toddler to the wall. Unfortunately, there are mothers in this world without guidance, without Christ, without Mary to show them how to truly love their children.
One more thing: Christ is the example of perfect love. He is the one that teaches us how to treat others. Mary is a role model for saying "yes" when Christ calls us to put our love into action. Won't you reach out to another mom today and encourage her? Perhaps a mom at your child's school or in the grocery store line needs a smile and a kind word. Better yet, would you say a rosary today for all mothers, especially those who don't have Christ in their life?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for sending your son to teach us how to love one another. Thank you for his mother, Mary, who shows us how to put our love into action. Bless all mothers today, especially those struggling with parenting their children. Send a role model to them to teach them about Christ and about how to be the mother you want them to be. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for me.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said and thank you for the lovely prayer. I often wonder..if a child knows that his/her mother aborted a sibling...will that child ever understand the sanctity of life or will that same spirit of death be passed on from generation to generation? N
    crookedhalocatholicblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete