This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Honor your mother.

Lectionary: 481
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
Blessed Bartholomew of Vicenza

Admit it mom, you are rubbing your hands together with glee over today's first reading! St. Paul talks to us today about order. There is a holiness found in order. Without order, there can't be any growth or formation. Chaos breeds more chaos.
One more thing: Obedience is not something many of us are naturally inclined to do. It's simply not part of our nature. I suppose that has to do with that gift of free will. My job as a parent is to form my child's nature to be in obedience, even when it isn't something they want to do. I'm having a tough time with that from my two youngest right now. My daughter in particular doesn't want to concede to my authority. It's more her temperament to be the boss. However, St. Paul tells us the fourth commandment comes with a promise. Therefore, I can't be weary or slack in expecting order in my home. When the master of the house opens the door, I want him to invite me in!
Prayer: Father in heaven, thank you for the gift of my family. Help me to establish order in my home so that my children will learn and grow. Give me the grace to parent with mercy so as not to provoke my children to anger, but to nurture their obedience. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Blessed Bartholomew, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment