This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The power of parents.


Lectionary: 332
Our Lady of Lourdes

The readings today show us two opposite parenting situations. On the one hand, Solomon, known for his wisdom, becomes a fool in his old age. He neglects his promise to God and therefore his actions have negative consequences for his son. In the gospel, however, we have a woman coming to Jesus begging for salvation for her daughter. This woman is not a Jew but a pagan and at first, Christ gives her the brush off. The mother simply will not take no for an answer, and Jesus rewards her faith! 

One more thing: Solomon worshiped idols and did not repent on behalf of his son. The woman in the gospel worshiped idols, yet brought her trust and faith to Christ anyway and He rewarded her by healing her daughter. No matter our own mistakes, when he fall on our knees and pray for our children with expectation and perseverance, Christ will hear and answer. 

Prayer: Dear Lord, through your mercy I beg you to overlook my shortcomings and pour your blessings and protection upon my children. Our Lady of Lourdes, please join my prayers for my children to yours and take them to your son, our savior, Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment