This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Business as usual.



Lectionary: 221
St. Mansuetus

When Christ had his forty day of fasting, he didn't keep doing things as usual. He went out to the desert to be with God. Today Isaiah is warning against doing the same old thing and calling it Lent. 
One more thing: What am I fasting from during Lent? Christ makes it clear that simply obeying the law is not the empty action He is looking for. Today is a day of fasting. Take a look at the list in the first reading and decide together as a family what you will fast from: fighting, selfishness, disobedience. Make it truly a different kind of day! 
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I pray that people will know me as a Catholic Christian by the love they see in my actions, not simply the rules I follow. St. Mansuetus, pray for me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment