This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Baggage.


Lectionary: 326
St. Andrew Corsini

In today's readings, both David and Jesus give instructions for a journey. Neither of them said, pack a bag! Both of them told their children to live as God intended and rely fully on Him, and you will have all you need. I always second guess myself when it comes to providing for my kids. Should they have nicer clothes, or be in better sports programs, or get extra tutoring, maybe private music lessons? Every parent thinks the THINGS they provide for their kids are preparing them for life. And yet, Christ sent his children out with only a tunic. 

One more thing: Neither David nor Christ would have set their children up for failure. The only things they needed for their journey were obedience to God and trust in His providence. 

Prayer: Father in heaven, it is so easy to get distracted by the world. Help me to stay focused on you and give my children the things they need to succeed in eternity. St. Andrew Corsini, pray for me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment