This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Feed me!!

Lectionary: 334
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Reading 2
Gospel

Sts. Fusca and Maura


I know there are great theological implications in today's gospel, but here's the image that comes to mind for me. My toddler linked to my leg while I'm trying to cook supper. He is so hungry and cranky that he can't even think straight. And I, like any mom who knows she's blown it and waited too long to get supper on the table, get him a banana, apple, granola bar, anything to calm him down and let him eat. I have a feeling Jesus felt the same thing we do as moms in this situation. The crowd wasn't complaining yet, but he knew it was only a matter of time till meltdown. So he did the same thing you and I do: he fed his kids. 
One more thing: Christ turned the ordinary picnic into something sacred and foreshadowed the eucharistic meal. The next time you are stressed out by a hungry family, remember what you are doing is sacred too. Keeping everyone fed is a big but necessary job, and Christ has picked you to carry on his work! 
Prayer: Dear Lord, bless my efforts to feed my family. Help me to maintain mealtime as sacred family time. Sts. Fusca and Maura, pray for me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment