This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, February 8, 2010

God's dwelling place.


Lectionary: 329
St. Jerome of Emiliani

Today's readings show God as a rock star. The entire community of Isreal comes out to see God dwell in Solomon's temple. Jesus enjoys the same status in today's Gospel. Everywhere he goes, the people flock to Him, and bring their sick for healing. Where is God today? Where is His resting place? 
If your family is the domestic church then surely God dwells there; or does He? Sometimes it's easy to leave God at the church door when we exit on Sunday and assume we'll see Him next week. But Christ wants to rest in your home and be with you every day. 

One more thing: Think about making your own ark of the covenant or altar for your home. Place a crucifix, candle, religious symbols, and important family keepsakes there. Even a small space can have a big impact and be a constant reminder to your family that God dwells in your home. 

Prayer: Father in Heaven, help me to prepare a dwelling place for you in my heart and in my home. Heal me of my afflictions, so that I can be the mom you desire me to be. St. Jerome, pray for me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment