This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Do not be afraid.

Lectionary: 323

Feast of St. Brigid of Ireland

Today's reading finds David living in fear. He's being terrorized by his son, just as the people of Gerasenes were terrorized by the man possessed by Legion. But Christ has no fear. In fact, he directly confronts Legion and expels him out of the man. Christ is more powerful than even the nastiest demons. What "demons" are terrorizing you and have you gripped with fear? Is it worry over a sick child, toilet training, a rebellious teen, or school?  Christ is  your superhero and can expel those demons if you bring them to Him. 

One more thing: Today when you find yourself anxious or afraid, pray the psalm, "Lord, rise up and save me!" Envision standing on that riverbank and laying your fears at the feet of Christ. 

Prayer: Lord Jesus, my powerful savior, remove my demons and expel my fear, so that I may embrace your love and share it with my family. St. Bridgid of Ireland, pray for me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment