This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Fungus Among Us.



Lectionary: 336
Gospel
St. Juliana

Yeast is a fungus that converts sugar and starch into carbon dioxide bubbles. It is what makes bread rise and dough stretch. It is the leaven that Jesus referred to in the gospel. Only, Jesus is warning against temptation and sin that compounds and grows inside our soul. And like children not yet mature, the disciples still didn't understand. 
One more thing: Like all good parents, Jesus is constantly teaching. And as every parent knows, some lessons have to be repeated over and over again. Use the bread analogy from today's gospel to teach your children about temptation and sin. Then reassure them that God does not tempt us. Rather, He gives us every good and perfect gift. 
Prayer: Father in heaven, thank you for every good and perfect gift you have given me, especially my children. Lead me not into temptation. Let me never be parted from you. St. Juliana, pray for me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment