This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Work out.


Lectionary: 441
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Thomas of Villanova

St. Paul sounds like he is writing to today's audience. People today are not strangers to competition and training. We do it in the gyms, in the workplace, and even socially in the school parking lot or PTO meetings. Have you ever thought of your faith as an athletic event?
One more thing: How much time do you spend thinking about how you look, going to the gym, being conscious of healthy choices? Do you spend the same amount of time taking care of your spiritual being as you do your physical body? Does your soul need a good workout? I know my own faith sure could benefit from some endurance training, the occasional sprint, and maybe even lose a couple extra pounds of baggage I've been carrying around. If I'm in better shape spiritually, perhaps I'll have the clarity and strength to pull the plank out of my own eye, and then lend a helping hand to a brother. What is your spiritual training commitment this week?
Prayer: Lord Jesus, you are the master coach. Help me listen to you and follow you with the same dedication and commitment that I give my physical training. Help me to teach healthy spiritual habits to my children, as well as physical ones. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Thomas, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment