This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

A fish story.


Lectionary: 434
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
Blessed John Francis Burte and Companions

"God catches the wise in their own ruses."
St. Paul warns me in today's first reading not to get too big for my britches. Even the wise are limited by their humanity. We see things that started off with good intentions go the way of most human endeavors in the French revolution. With a battle cry of "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity" came a foolish desire to rid society of all things of God. Blessed John Francis and his companions (more than 200 people in religious communities) were martyred during the revolution when they would not take an oath denying their faith.
One more thing: Blessed John and his companions gave up everything on earth for God. Today's gospel finds Simon, James and John doing the same thing. At the moment they catch the biggest catch of their careers (and bragging rights to the world's greatest fish story), they walk away and follow Jesus. I try to keep that in mind in those moments when I feel at the top of my game. Those rare occasions when it all comes together ( hot dinner on the table, homework done, hubby home on time, happy toddler ) are when I need to turn to Christ and make sure I'm still following him.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for those moments when I shine for you. Keep me humble in my endeavors, always with a heart of service. I ask this in your precious name, Amen. Blessed John Francis, pray for me.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to CMO! This is such a unique and needed blog. Thank you for setting this up!

    ReplyDelete