This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Good Example.


Lectionary: 132
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Reading 2
Gospel
Most Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Have you ever heard the expression, 'If you can't be a good example, at least you can be a horrible warning'? That's what St. Paul's letter reminds me of today. He paints a portrait of himself being completely unworthy of Christ. Yet, Christ picked him and forgave him all transgressions, so that he might testify to us as a good example.
One more thing: I think you could write a book on the parable of the prodigal son. There are so many elements and themes working here. What speaks to me today is the fact that the eldest son does not feel appreciated. Think about your own children. Do you have a squeaky wheel who gets all the attention, even if it's negative? Take a minute and appreciate the good your children do today. Be sure to let the ones who live a life of obedience know how much you love them!
Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for your endless mercy. Help me to remember when I stray from you, that you are always willing to forgive me. Help me be an example of that mercy to my children. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Mary Most Holy, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment