This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The needy.

Lectionary: 451
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Lawrence Ruiz and companions

"give me neither poverty nor riches; provide me only with the food I need,"
Jesus sent the disciples out with only the clothes on their backs. He was asking them to trust him to provide for them exactly what they needed when they needed it. Christ does the same for us. There is no need to hoard; Jesus provides all.
One more thing: Does my lacking cause my stress? Does my desire take me away from God. Do I REALLY need all those shoes? Whatever it is that we want,-material goods, a nicer home, a 'perfect' family, better figure, more time in the day, etc-we can take comfort that God provides exactly what we need when we need it. This kind of faith requires me to rely on God for everything, from enough dinner to feed the unexpected neighborhood friend, to a quick commute to pick up the kids when I'm running late. It also makes me focus on others. Perhaps I am the hands and feet of Christ that will provide something for another just when they need it!
Prayer: Dear Jesus, thank you for always providing for me! Help me to curb my desires and increase my trust in you. Open my eyes to be aware of others in need, especially my children. Let me be your hands and feet, providing for someone else the love and care you give me. In your holy name I pray, Amen. St. Lawrence Ruiz, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment