This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Vanity.

Lectionary: 452
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Padre Pio

"The life of a Christian is nothing but a perpetual struggle against self; there is no flowering of the soul to the beauty of its perfection except at the price of pain" (saying of Padre Pio).
One more thing: Padre Pio knew that all was vanity. It's so hard not to become attached to the things of this world. I think it is only by focusing more and more on Christ and fulfilling the vocation to which he has called me, that I can separate myself from the worldliness around me. 
Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for the gifts and comforts that you have provided for me and my children during this time on earth. Help me to always remember that they are temporary and that my treasure is with you in heaven. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Padre Pio, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment