This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Angels.

Lectionary: 647
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
Feast of the Archangels, Michael, Gabriel and Rafael

Remember Jacob's ladder in the Old Testament? The angels went back and forth between heaven and earth on that ladder. Jesus tells us in today's gospel that he is the way between heaven and earth. He is the bridge upon which not only the angels, but us humans can get to heaven.
One more thing: I've had plenty of evidence of angels in my life. While there is the occasional helping hand from out of nowhere, my angels seem to have a full time job in the protection arena. I teach my children to honor their guardian angles through prayer every night. When the kids are afraid, we pray to their guardian angel for protection and comfort. Some people even name their guardian angel. A fun way to celebrate this feast day is to serve angel food cake for dessert at dinner tonight. I find that relating feast days to food creates memories for kids and makes feast days truly joyful!
Prayer: Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God's love entrusts me here, ever this day be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule, to guide, Amen. Sts. Michael, Gabriel and Rafael, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment