This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Shine!

Lectionary: 449
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
Sts. Andrew Kim Taegon, Paul Chong, and other Korean martyrs

Today's readings focus on how to treat others, but I'm intrigued by Jesus' words, "Take care, then, how you hear." What do we hear?  In our world today, there is so much to hear, that much of it we tune out. Rarely do we really listen. Take my own kids, for instance. It takes effort to actually have a conversation without either me or them with our eyes on a screen, phone, book, or magazine? Am I really listening to my kids?
One more thing: Am I really listening to the gospel? Sure, I might hear it as I read my meditation each day. But do I listen? Listening implies a response after an assimilation of the information. Am I incorporating the gospel into my daily life? Am I light burning brightly, especially for my kids? The closing song in Mass on Sunday was, "Shine, Jesus Shine!" Comment on how you 'shine' brightly each day for your kids.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I want to shine for you! Help me to really hear your gospel and in turn live it, so that I will one day live on your holy mountain. In your precious name I pray, Amen. Sts. Andrew, Paul and all the Korean martyrs, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment