This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Teach them to your children.



Lectionary: 239
St. Frances of Rome

You are your child's first and most important teacher. You will make the greatest impact on the person they become. Do not take your job lightly! Do not let society tell you that what you do as a mom is not valuable. You have the most important job in the world! Jesus himself said, "Whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the Kingdom of heaven."
One more thing: Today's saint, St. Frances of Rome was a wife and mother who in her youth wanted to serve the Lord. Her family had other plans and she married and had children. She was able to serve God where she was, where He wanted her to be. I really like this quote attributed to her, "Says Frances of Rome: “It is most laudable in a married woman to be devout, but she must never forget that she is a housewife. And sometimes she must leave God at the altar to find Him in her housekeeping” (Butler’s Lives of the Saints).
Prayer: Dear Lord, Help me to realize the value in what I do each day. Help me to teach my children to live by your commandments and to do your will. St. Frances of Rome, pray for me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment