This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Personal responsibility.

I'm always impressed by the way the New Testament writers preach without being preachy. In the first reading, we hear God answering the call of his suffering people. In the second reading, we get a stern warning remembering what happened to those people. It seems that God's gift of salvation is a true covenant. A contract between two parties. God is forever faithful and merciful. All we have to do is live up to our end of the bargain.
One more thing: One the one hand, Jesus is quick to point out the justice that comes to those who do not repent. On the other, He is the compassionate gardner, willing to fertilize us and tend to us so that we may bear fruit. All we have to do is open our heart to Him.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, I open my heart to you. I rely fully on you. Mold me and shape me in your image. Help me dedicate myself to you each new day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment