This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Measuring up.


Lectionary: 230


If God judged us based on what we deserve, we would all be in trouble! That is why the psalm writer begs, "do not deal with us according to our sins." We all rely on the mercy of God, but Jesus brings in a new twist for us to think about. "For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you."
One more thing: Christ gives us a corollary to the great commandment in today's gospel. Loving others as we love ourselves includes forgiving them as we want to be forgiven. The next time you find the kids in the kitchen underfoot, get out the measuring cups. Ask them how much forgiveness they want from God, and teach them that's how much they have to show to others.
Prayer: Father in heaven, thank you for your infinite mercy. Help me to be generous in my forgiveness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment