This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Reflection on the week's readings.

This week Christ has given me plenty of opportunities to put my faith into practice. My child has been singled out in school by some other children and as a mom, it hurts to watch your child go through painful times. Christ has taught me in the readings this week to rejoice in this situation so I've turned it around with my daughter. We are calling it friendship academy and we are thanking God for giving us this situation to learn from. I know when she graduates from this school of hard knocks, she will be able to recognize a true friend and sister in Christ from across the room. In the meantime, I'm supporting her with prayer and claiming victory in Christ over this situation. Truth be told, though, I couldn't have gotten through the week without the support of my friends in faith and I'm so thankful to God for giving me these 'sisters in the struggle'. He never sends us out alone and a hug and a kind word have gone far toward strengthening me and supporting my resolve. Really, though, isn't this all part of God's wonderful and messy family tree? When I step back and observe from that perspective, it makes the moment less painful. We are a bigger than these situations that get under our skin. We are the Kingdom of God, right here, right now, slugging it out, swinging from branch to branch, and helping each on our journey toward heaven.
Have a blessed weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I've often wondered why learning life lessons is so painful. Maybe God is saying that we have to trust Him and move on with building virtue. Maybe we should thank the people giving us a hard time because they actually spur us on to grow strong in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete