This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Line of succession.


Today's reading.
St. Fabian

The whole world is jockeying to be the top dog. I just had a conversation today with my daughter about what the word popular actually means versus what the reality is of people who claim to be 'popular'. Being 'popular' often means being mean and exclusive. In today's first reading, Saul and David are both of those, trying to be not just popular, but king. God intervenes and brings a spirit of humility and submission to the situation. They both realize that all they desire will happen in God's time but only if they follow God's commands of how to treat each other.
One more thing: Jesus also picks his 'next in line' in today's Gospel. The crown is now traded for a cross,  and we are all called to carry it. St. Fabian unwittingly became pope, literally following in the line of Christ. He shunned the popular events of his day, and died a martyr's death. He exemplified the spirit of submission to God's call and wears a heavenly crown today. Being popular to the world might be tempting, but the lesson for my daughter and myself is to desire to be popular to God.
Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for the liturgical leaders you placed here on earth for me to follow. Bless  the clergy in a special way today and please touch the hearts of your people who are called to a vocation of a life lived for you. Help me to keep my eye on the prize: my heavenly crown, and to shun the temptation to do and say things that make me popular in the world's eyes. In your name I pray, Amen.
St. Fabian, pray for me.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Catholic Mama,

    I found you through Sunday Snippets and I enjoyed your post today.

    ReplyDelete