This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Family warfare.

Today's readings.

St. Hyacintha of Mariscotti

Fighting happens in the best of families. Look at King David. His children fought. Absalom murdered his half brother who raped his sister. Now Absalom is coming after David. David allows the jeering from the passerby along the road because he knows his own wrong doing has brought this trouble upon his house. The sins of our fathers  generations before us sometimes have consequences in our own families.
One more thing:  I'm sure the man possessed by demons had many family conflicts. That family must have felt exhaustion, shame, embarrassment, maybe even financial hardship from trying to care for this man. Once Jesus heals him he doesn't let him follow with the other disciples. He tells him to go back to his family and tell them all that the Lord in pity has done for him. When the fighting starts in my family, I try not to run around like a crazy person, but rather come to Christ for healing. Once he calms my spirit, I can come back to my family and tell them all the Lord has done for us.
Prayer: Father in heaven, you know our flaws and our selfish desires that cause us to fight with the ones we love the most, our family. Be present in my family today and every day. Heal all discord and contempt and help my family interact with one another in love. Heal all generational hurts and protect the generations to come from further conflict. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. St. Hyacintha, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment