This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, January 23, 2012

King and conqueror.

Today's readngs.

St. Vincent

Today we are told of David's rise to power and his reign as king. He conquers all who were in his way and unites the Israelites. David grew more powerful because the Lord of Hosts was with him.
One more thing: Jesus conquers Satan and he makes no bones about telling the scribes who is in charge of this world. Do I really believe that 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me'? Do I have the faith of David? Do I claim victory over all adversity in the name of Christ who conquered sin and death? This past week was challenging and I found myself cowering to my life's circumstances. Instead, I begin today with a renewed faith, the faith of a young boy who throws stones and slays giants. The faith that enabled St. Vincent to endure terrible torture rather than forsake the name of Christ. The faith that my Savior who conquered Satan himself will stand beside me in all challenges big and small.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, thank you for claiming victory over sin and death so that I may be with you for eternity. Help me to remember that I am called to the vocation of motherhood by you, just as David was called to be king. And with you I can conquer all the challenges of this vocation: sick children, sleepless nights, worry, teens, toddlers, homework, sibling fighting, and all the other things that discourage me. Give me a faith like David's so that I may live this vocation to the fullest. In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. Vincent, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment