This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Friends in faith.

Today's readings.

St. Timothy and St. Titus, Bishops

Today the church honors saints Timothy and Titus. These two men were members of the early church and had a deep friendship with St. Paul. So much so, that his letters to them are included in the bible. I'm sure they shared laughs and worries like all friends do, but most importantly, they shared their faith. It is evident in the letters that they strengthened, encouraged, and challenged one another in their faith.
One more thing: In the optional gospel today, Christ sends out the disciples with nothing but the sandals on their feet and the clothes on their backs. Well, not quite. He sent them with a friend. Christ knew the importance of community and friends in faith. Last night I hosted my bible study with some new friends. No, we don't meet for coffee or  have regular lunches, but we are friends in faith. Each of them shared and encouraged me as I grow closer to living my vocation of motherhood as Christ intended. Do you have friends that help you be a better mom and daughter of God? Tell me about them in the comment section! If you don't then start looking for a few like-minded women at church or your community. All moms need a few sisters-in-Christ to help us along!
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for the friends in faith that you have brought to my life. I ask you blessing upon us all as we live out our vocation of motherhood, together! In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. Timothy and St. Titus, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment