This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Looking at the heart.

St. Anthony, Abbot

"...but the Lord looks into the heart." 
The first reading reminds me that it is what is in my heart that matters. I'm sure Jesse had seven other very fine and capable sons. But something was missing. David had that simple childlike faith that enabled him to slay a giant without hesitation, and be the leader of God's people. 
One more thing: What does God see when he looks into my heart? The commercial hearts are everywhere right now, but I'm going to use them as a cue to remind me and my kids to fill our hearts with genuine love for God and neighbor. Get your family into the valentine's spirit by using a heart jar or chart, placing a heart token or sticker whenever someone in the family shows an act of kindness. When the chart or jar is full, do something together that everyone loves like baking cookies or going on a picnic. 
Prayer: Dear Jesus, give me a heart full of love and mercy. Help me to model that love for my children so that they too want to give their heart to you. In your name I pray. Amen. 
St. Anthony, Abbot, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment